Monday, September 16, 2013

Getting to know Second Year Student Ellen LeClere



La France est émoussée


1) Where are you from? Any interesting facts about your hometown?
I grew up in the Amana Colonies, a small cluster of villages close to Iowa City, Iowa. The Amana Colonies were settled by a radical group of separatist Christians from Germany who called themselves the Community of True Inspiration, and for 80 years the Amanas were a completely self-sufficient religious utopia, of sorts. The community fell apart in the 1930s, but all of the original buildings, churches, and farms still exist. I grew up in a house built in the 1850s that used to be a communal kitchen. It's a strange and surreal history to relay to people who ask where I'm from, so I generally lie and say I'm from Iowa City.

2) When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to go to Stanford to study interior design. I found out later that Stanford didn't have an interior design program.

3) What did you study as an undergraduate? Why?
Political Science and Sociology. I really enjoyed conducting independent research, especially regarding global women's issues. I was involved with a women's resource group on campus, and spent a few months in Washington, DC where I interned for my local Congressman when I thought a career in representative politics was my future (it wasn't).

4) If you were a cheese, what would you be? Why?
A goat cheese brie, only because that was my breakfast. Or maybe Limburger, since I haven't showered yet today.

5) Michael Jackson or Prince? Why?
Prince, because he is a beast on guitar!

6) Do you have any pets? Show us a picture!


Beans (foreground, as St. Nick) and Nina Totenberg 
(under table, as her alter-ego, Coco)

7) What historical figure do you think you would be friends with? Why?
Probably Emma Goldman, Margaret Sanger, or any of the other rad, mischief-makin' ladies who helped develop and spread the culture of women's equality in America. 

8) What are you most nervous about this semester? Why?
Time management, because my work schedule is pretty demanding right now and I'm taking some heavy classes, or electrical fires, since I'm not sure my new landlord understands what's "up to code."


9) What are you most looking forward to this semester? Why?
SNOW, and the productivity that comes with being holed inside my apartment during a blizzard. Also winter beverages, like grog, and the prospect of many horror movie nights with friends old and new from SLIS!

10) What do you love about archives?!
I like being part of a culture that places value on its history. I believe that society grows when we can see the decision-making processes of the past, and archives preserve and make accessible those records. I love hearing about how archival research helps people uncover new facts or stories about a historical figure or event. History is neat!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
I'm the kid with the stink-face in the middle.


No comments:

Post a Comment