Friday, September 13, 2013

Getting to Know Second-Year Student Lotus Norton-Wisla

At the Majestic's Mad Men Soiree last December!


1) Where are you from? Any interesting facts about your hometown?


I'm from Presque Isle, WI, which is very far north in Wisconsin. It is very tiny, I think the population has gotten up to 600 people! The name means "almost an island" because of all the lakes. It's slogan is "Wisconsin's Last Wilderness," so obviously it is crawling with tourists during summer. We have a lot of bars, a gas station, and a library. My high school was an hour away!

2) When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
First a "store-lady," then a dancer, then a beautician, and then a teacher. I'm sure there are other occupations in there, but those are the ones I remember. After working at a fun one for five years, I still have an urge to own an ice cream or coffee shop - but I fight it. 


3) What did you study as an undergraduate? Why?
I went to Nicolet Area Technical College for my first two years to save money. Turns out there are some pretty great instructors in Northern Wisconsin. I transferred to UW-Madison as an English Literature major because I enjoyed reading and writing, but also took classes in history, computer science, and Integrated Liberal Studies (my favorite was a class on The Wire).

4) If you were a cheese, what would you be? Why?
My favorite cheeses is are Havarti, Muenster, or Jarlsberg. But I aspire to be similar to those little Babybel cheeses. The Gouda ones are pretty good, and you also get extra enjoyment of peeling off the wax and molding it into shapes. So tasty, unassuming, and entertaining? This is very made up, but I like thinking about cheese.

5) Michael Jackson or Prince? Why?
I would have to go with Prince, because he is from Minnesota, has interesting stories, and sensual music. I don't have very strong feelings in this debate and would dance around to either one.

6) Do you have any pets? Show us a picture!
Yes! I have a hedgehog named Penelope (we just call her Penny). I've had her for under a month, but she is very cute and could possibly be warming up to me.


7) What historical figure do you think you would be friends with? Why?
My top people are probably authors, I can't help myself. Let's go with Douglas Adams (counts because he is unfortunately dead). His writing makes me feel like we would get along - he would make me laugh, but we would also have interesting and deep conversations. I just love everything and read and listen to his nonfiction almost as much as his fiction. We would start with a few years of friendship through correspondence. Then meet up a few times a year. Then buy houses next to each other in Santa Fe http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-06-a.html. I'd also like to meet Queen Liliuokalani http://search.eb.com/women/article-9048258, but establishing a relationship with DNA comes first.

8) What are you most nervous about this semester? Why?
Managing my time with classes and all the rest. Difficult assignments in LIS 644. Thinking about my resume and applying for jobs. 

9) What are you most looking forward to this semester? Why?
My practicum, SAA activities, SLIS Coding Initiative, spending time with awesome SLIS people. Fall and Christmas in my cozy apartment. Going to Radiolab in October and David Sedaris in November. Living with and near good friends. Brunch.


10) What do you love about archives?!
I like making order out of chaos - organizing a collection or making information understandable. I like helping people find what they need for research or personal interest - I like the passion that people bring into the archive. I like hearing stories and learning about a new perspective on history that I didn't know existed. I like the chance to use technology. I love the feeling of seeing and touching a photograph, document, film, whatever, and knowing that it needs to be shared and explored. Not to mention all the just-plain-awesome items and subjects you get to discover and work with. I love Wisconsin Beekeepers! 


Photo from my archives - me, about 2, digging a hole and looking pretty smug about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment