Thursday, September 12, 2013

Getting to Know Second-Year SLIS Student Jill Fuller

1) Where are you from? Any interesting facts about your hometown?
Marengo, Illinois, a small town east of Rockford. My hometown isn't interesting, per se, but one fact that I'm proud of (in a super history nerdy way) is that my family has lived there since the 1850s. I'm literally surrounded by family history wherever I go!


 2) When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A zoologist until I realized that required me to be good in science. I thought I would just get to play with monkeys all day. It was a crushing blow.


3) What did you study as an undergraduate? Why?
I was a history major! I am fascinated by a lot of historical topics, but especially Irish history, early women writers, and random trivia, which is why I read Bill Bryson.

4) If you were a cheese, what would you be? Why?
I want to say something profoundly witty here, but I would be trying too hard. Hmmmm....I eat feta cheese a lot. So I guess I'm really salty and crumbly? What does that mean?


5) Michael Jackson or Prince? Why?
Apparently, I am not one of the cool kids because I couldn't even name a Prince song if I tried. (I even lived in Minnesota once! What is wrong with me?!) So I guess MJ wins by default.


 6) Do you have any pets? Show us a picture!
I do! His name is Hobbes (and yes, we have contemplated getting another named Calvin) and he is the greatest thing in the world. He licks my face to wake me up in the morning. I think he just won the Best Cat of the Year award.




7) What historical figure do you think you would be friends with? Why?
Louisa May Alcott! I actually am not a super huge fan of her works (except LW, of course) but I have read her collections of letters and journals, and I have grown to really love her. She was witty, caustic, intelligent, and way ahead of her time. Fun fact of the day: did you know she wrote thrillers under the pseudonym A.M. Barnard and that they involved, among other things: violence, suicide, mental disorders, and drug use? Chew on that next time you pick up Little Women!


 8) What are you most nervous about this semester? Why?
 I'm nervous about not reaching my potential and not learning enough. There is always so much to know!


 9) What are you most looking forward to this semester? Why?
I'm looking forward to some more great archives classes!


10) What do you love about archives?!
The stories that are just waiting to be preserved and told. I love archives because they represent what is best and unique about the human race, which is our desire to remember our past and learn from it.


Jill in Colorado.



Picture from my archives: Me, at age 1 1/2. I assume it was Halloween, since I'm dressed as a lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment