Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Getting to Know Second-Year SLIS Student Adrienne Evans

Me in my current manifestation and Little Arya Stark

1) Where are you from? Any interesting facts about your hometown?
I am from Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The most populated area in South Dakota, Sioux Falls boasts the largest one-story mall in the U.S (I can't really back this up with evidence, but I remember one of my high school friends saying it like five years ago)

2) When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Among many other things, I wanted to be a fantasy novelist. In my early teens, I actually wrote several novels on tiny notebooks (because I found full scale notebooks intimidating). They're still stashed throughout my parents' house. I live in fear of their discovery.

3) What did you study as an undergraduate? Why?
I studied English, because, well, see answer 2.

4) If you were a cheese, what would you be? Why?
Aged black truffle white cheddar made by Wisconsin's Hook Cheese, because I be delicious.

5) Michael Jackson or Prince? Why?
Prince-- because of Purple Rain

6) Do you have any pets? Show us a picture!
 I have two kitties-Little Gary Seinfeld and Little Arya Stark (we usually call her "Squid" though...I don't know why)

Gary

The yellow tabby is Gary and the kitten of the Fleetwood Mac album is Arya again. I like images.
7) What historical figure do you think you would be friends with? Why?
Janet Flanner, the New Yorker's correspondent in Paris from 1925 to 1975. She was witness to a crap ton of history (she remained in Paris throughout WWII); she was privy to information about loads of fascinating figures--from writers like Fitzgerald, Stein, and Hemingway to artists like Matisse and Picasso, and was an insatiable gossip. She also quite the fashion plate herself.


8) What are you most nervous about this semester? Why?
I'm taking a lot of technology based classes this semester and it's not really an area that I'm comfortable with yet.

9) What are you most looking forward to this semester? Why?
This semester will provide me with the opportunity to digitize and create metadata for a few different collections (I'm working on digitization projects at work and through my coursework). It's definitely an archival task that I've been wanting learn more about, so Huzzah!

10) What do you love about archives?!
There are lots of great things about archives--for instance, they preserve and provide access to the past in increasingly innovative and interactive ways. Personally, I love being an archives worker because every unprocessed box is like uncharted territory...you never know what you're going to find. Usually it's just canceled checks or tax info, but it could be some famous photographer's lost negatives or an unpublished draft of The Great Gatsby. The fun is in imagining the possibilities.

From the archives: Me and dad (Fred Evans) from 1989 or so.




No comments:

Post a Comment