Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Getting to Know First-Year SLIS Student Rebecca Rodriguez


Me hiking and a frozen waterfall behind me (oh silly south dakota)

1) Where are you from? Any interesting facts about your hometown?
I'm from a little town that was 30 minutes away from walmart, fast food, and movie theaters which isn't a bad thing. It's Lead, South Dakota! Best known for being five minutes from Deadwood (the inspiration for the HBO show "Deadwood") and for being the home of Homestake Gold Mine, which was the largest gold mine in the country the entire time it was open (over a century!).

2) When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a librarian when I was like 8, then a professional traveller, then a geologist, then I wanted to be a teacher, then I spent a year as a substitute teacher and changed my mind and went with historian.

3) What did you study as an undergraduate? Why?
History! Because it's interesting and geology was boring. Also political science which started as a minor but was only one more semester to double major.

4) If you were a cheese, what would you be? Why?
Gouda, because I have gouda times with gouda friends all the time.

5) Michael Jackson or Prince? Why?
Neither because they both dress like clowns!

6) Do you have any pets? Show us a picture!
I have a cat named Chumsley! He's a heavy weight pro at a whopping 25 pounds and is 18 inches tall from floor to shoulder!

 Chumsley, my cat
 
7) What historical figure do you think you would be friends with? Why?
Jean-Jacques Rousseau because I'm a philosophy nerd and he has awesome hair

8) What are you most nervous about this semester? Why?
Grades! I have a fellowship and need to get all A's (dun dun duuuuun!)

9) What are you most looking forward to this semester? Why?
City living! It's amazing living somewhere that has places that are open after 10 pm!

10) What do you love about archives?!
Seeing a part of history that isn't in a book, and helping people get a bigger picture of historical events. Bringing history to life.

Personal archives photo: Me up in the air! I was a rock climbing instructor on an island off the western coast of British columbia for four summers, despite the fact that I'm scared of heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment